Monday, May 5, 2014

May 4th Najera to Granon

Another early start and i was up and out before dawn, Not long after the sun started to rise and the sky behind me started to glow, The sky was clear for the first time and it was cold, Cold enough for me to have to put some light gloves on, I watched the sun rise and plodded on, First stop as always in a bar to have my coffee, There were the biggest croissants and pain au chocolates, I had one of each and then made my way along the compacted gravel trail that lasted pretty much all day, I took some ibuprofen for the knee and carried on, The knee was starting to improve, I watched as other pilgrims walked on, head down, I think a photographer will see the Camino in a different light, always  looking for light,composition and form, The vines had stopped and now it was rolling hills and crops, Very pretty, It struck me that i had not realized just how much i missed mainland Europe, The beautiful countryside and friendly people, I had had some hiker leg envy, Lots of guys with big calves and thighs,I took the lower leggings off for the first time as it was getting hotter and after walking for a while i looked at my shadow and it was like i had 4 walking poles, I have always hated me legs, The guide book said to end the day at Santo Domingo de la calzada but i only stopped there for lunch and to view the cathedral, Its famous for its chicken that is in there, Legend has it that a pilgrim was wrongly hung  and after the parents took his body away he came back to life, They told the major who said that he was as alive as the chicken on his plate which then came back to life and run off, Hence the chicken, Either was it was an amazing place, full of wealth and pomp, No lack of money in this church, I made my way to Granon which has a great reputation on the forums, Its in the back of the main church, Its fairly basic, Not even with its own pilgrims stamp which i though strange, You have to get that from the bar, The shower was the worst by far on the Camino, No place to wash clothes and you sleep on a mat on the floor, On the plus side the people are very friendly and the food was ok, I had met with a lot of people that i had met on the way as well as some new faces, I had a fair few beers and wines, I went to the far end of the town and what a view, Beautiful, I met with some new Brits and ended back in the bar, By the time dinner was ready i was slightly pickled, I had done my 3rd 30km or 18 mile walk in a row, Not something i had set out to do, A few weeks ago i could not imagine being able to do so many miles day after day and still enjoy it

 Early light over the first village of the day-time of breakfast
 Well trained floral street decoration
 Drainage ditch waterfall
Blue and yellow always go together
 Camino sculptures on a roundabout

A typical days walk, Open countryside and hard packed trail, Easy and enjoyable for anybody
The Church of the resurrecting Chicken


 There were a few statues of guys with welts on their legs, Not sure what it depicts
 Bible from 1561

Basic Living
 The Abergue was attached to bck of the church
 View from the end of the town, Stunning


Dave

2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful pictures, Dave. I feel like I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stayed in the "alternative" albergue in Granon, in the main street. Graffiti on the walls, donativo. We had to sing for our supper. One of my camino highlights was early the next morning when I left town, with the street lights still on, and the purple glow in the sky just before dawn.

    ReplyDelete