Tuesday, May 13, 2014

May 13th-Villerente to Leon

A short walk today, Another cold start with a touch of frost on the ground, Even when the sun was up there was a chill in the breeze, I always look around for wildlife and i have to say there has been little to see along the meseta so i was surprised when 2 roe deer crossed my path near the city limits,The walk went quickly with just the final drag through the new city into the old, My feet were sore to start but after 20 minutes had loosened up and felt ok, I had looked forward to getting to Leon, I had decided to treat myself to a hotel and found one close to the Cathedral, A bath had been playing on my mind as had a kebab, First things first, drop the bags and have check out the Cathedral, I was expecting similar to Burgos but was surpised to find it much smaller and more church like, Not the museum like building that Burgos is, You cold worship here and there was quite a small feel for such a large building, As per usual you get a telephone looking item to put up to your ear and it guides you around giving all the details about the building, restoration etc,I knew that the Cathedral had a lot of stained glass and this is what i wanted to see, Pretty impressive place, I think the price was a little steep after Burgos and you did not get a discount for being a pilgrim,Another disappointment was the crappy sello or stamp for your pilgrims passport, Once the Cathedral had been toured it was time to find the kebab and after a lot of searching we had one and it was great, Back to the hotel where Ulrik grabbed his bags and said his goodbyes, We had traveled together for a long time but he is on a tighter time frame so had to move on, I hope our paths cross again,
Still in restoration
 From the Cathedral down to my hotel
 Stained glass everywhere

 3d masonary













 Ornate floors

 Amazing ceiling details
 Fabulous main doors
Not a cloud in sight
 Taking pictures is thirsty work
I have met up with a few fellow pilgrims here today, A lot are or have been suffering from back pain,knee pain,blisters,aching hips through to flu and sickness, For some its time to go home and hopefully finish the journey another time, Its a shame to come so far and be so close but your health is the most important thing, The walk is very doable but it does take its toll, If you are looking to walk the Camino then give yourself time, Allow at least 3 rest days if possible to make this special journey one to remember

Dave

3 comments:

  1. Keep trekking Dave! Love the photos and that you've been so consistent in sharing your journey. It amazes me how far you've travelled in such a short time! You are quite the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! We are one day ahead of you - in Villavante today, and walking to Astorga tomorrow. Darlene www.caminowanderings.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darlene
    So close and yet so far, I was going to walk to Villavante todaay but my guide was confusing so have stopped in Villar De Mazarife, A short day but feet now feeling good so tomorrow back to longer walks
    Buen Camino
    Dave
    I will have plenty of time to read your blog today

    ReplyDelete