Thursday, May 15, 2014

May 15th-Mazarife to Astorga

I left the Aubergue early for various reasons, Firstly i had the women from hell sleeping above me, She kicked her legs all night and would turn with all her force making the bunkbed jump, This went on all night, I was close to kicking the roof of my bed to stop her but for some reason didn't, It did not help when she put on her 1 million candle power torch at 5.30am, I left just after 6am, My feet screamed when i put the boots on and i did the Santiago shuffle down the road which continued for another 30 minutes, I had some cake with me so eat that so i could take some Santiago candy i.e ibuprofen, The walk was uninspiring although the sunrise was great and i followed the moon until it kissed the distant mountains and disappeared, I walked on for around 15km or 10 miles and then came to a lovely town called Hospital Del Orbigo which has a wonderful bridge and still hold jousting next to it,k The town was very nice but i only had time for coffee which was much needed, I carried on until it got very warm so i stopped and changed my top and my boots, The merrells once again felt light and cool and i carried on wearing them until i arrived in Astorga, The Camino split and i missed the turn to the scenic route, I kicked myself as it meant walking a long way along the main road, As i was walking along the old road i noticed a large sand deposit with a lot of holes in it, Then 2 European Bee-eaters flew out and over me, I watched for another 5 minutes before they went, I was glad i had missed the turn and was grateful to watch one of the Europe's most beautiful birds against a bright blue sky, There was one last climb before the decent into Astorga and i could feel my left shin tighten at the base, This will be my next thing to deal with, I had it already on my right shin so easy going now for 3 or 4 days, There is always something,
I got to my accomadation for the night and went out for a look with my camera, Firstly its a big town, Very cafe culture, There is a cathdrl next where i am staying and a Gaudo museum, I got a ticket for both and took lots of shots, The Gaudi architecture was great although the stuff inside was so so except the area on the Camino and the basement with wonderful old stone coffins, It also had some nice stained glass, The Cathedral was a museum and sold as such, First thing that hits you are the size of the columns, Anybody who has watched The Lord of The Rings will instantly think of the Dwarf's caves, Massive is an understatement, Very impressive, Well worth the money, It certainly is a great town and a good place to spend a day or 2

Follow the Moon
 1st Coffee of the day is the most important
 Bridge at Hospital Del Orbigo


 Where they Joust
 Bee Eater Nests
 Some great cloud formations
 Cross looking down on Astorga
 Entering Astorga
 The Gaudi museum and Church Museum

My room for the night
 Gaudi Museum
 Lots of artwork around the town

 Church Museum Door
 Gaudi extrance
The Lion and the Eagle
 Town square where i had dinner
 Roman remains covered by glass
 Check the detail in the floor
 Gaudi entrance
Beautiful ceiling details

 And Stained glass

 In the basement were some fantastic medieval tombstones


The Church Museum Entrance


 Huge columns and lovely ceiling



 I had a friend join me for dinner


Dave

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the pictures!!!! What an amazing journey complete with sleepless nights. :-) Journey on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are stunning! Sweet doggie, bet you are missing your fur-son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant wait for my doggie kisses

    ReplyDelete