Saturday, May 17, 2014

May 16th-Astorga to Foncebadon

Today started to climb, Back into the Mountains, It was a steady climb and a lot of the time you barely knew you were going up, I wanted to get to Foncebadon so that i could visit the Cruz De Ferro early, I would wait and see how i felt when i got to Rabanal, The countryside was lovely and a joy to walk through, It had been 3 weeks since my start in St Jean and i was feeling pretty good, Physically great, Just a twinge from the shin of my left leg, I was unsure what it was, It happened on the long road section before when i was wearing the merrell shoes, It had been a long road with a climb and i was unsure if i had a shin splint or if it was muscular, I got to Rabanal in good time and stopped for a coffee and something to eat, Rabanal is a lovely little town, Very clean and picturesque, I checked my shin and it had started to swell, After leaving Rabanal you get into a more basic trail, Quite steep and rocky, I could see a few people struggling but i found it to the top without a problem, Foncebadon is the total opposite to Rabanal, Almost looks like its been blitzed, Only 3 places to sleep, i store and a couple of houses, Everything else is derelict and a death trap, A quite bizarre place, I got a bed for the night but soon the place was full as were the others, Some people would have to go over the top whilst others shared all kinds of sleeping places, like the floor or sofa!
The climb starts
 Way marker
 This way to breakfast
 Street marker
 Memorial to fallen pilgrim Trudy

Crazy place-nuff said
 I wondered how old this cross was
 All rock and yet nature finds a way
 Home for the night
 Some of the neighbors

Foncabadon-Only the Camino comes here, Its being rebuilt as the Camino becomes ever popular


 Pilgrims-nothing else to do here but drink and chat
 Waiting for food
 Chef with a great Paella



Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment