Monday, May 19, 2014

May 19th-Ponferrada to Trabadelo

A very much up and down day in every way, I was glad to get back on the Camino after resting in Ponferada, My leg did not feel to bad to start but after 30 minutes there was some sharp stabbing pain around the shin and after an hour it was back to gritted teeth, I was hoping to get to a bar so that i could get  coffee and something to eat so that i could take an ibuprofen, I do not like to take tablets on an empty tummy and these were 600mg, In the end there was nothing open and i took the chance had a tablet, The walk was horrible for about 8-9 miles, Next to a road and just plain nothingness, I walked with an Italian couple that i had met on and off along the Camino, Eventually i stopped at a bar and had breakfast, I carried on to Villafranca Del Bierzo which was my destination, A really lovely looking town, I again stopped in a bar and had lunch and asked for ice and sat with my ankle covered in ice for 30 minutes, Once i had finished i put on a compression sock and had another tablet, It was like a miracle, The pain was gone so i decided to make hay whilst the sun shone and headed up a very steep trail into the mountains, The next 2 or 3 days will be high and tomorrow i will cross into Galicia which will be the last leg of the journey,The climb up the hill was very steep and probably took an hour before getting to the crest, I did not even need to stop to get my breath, The rest in Ponferrada may have not helped my leg but my body was well rested and i have to say that i have never felt so good physically, What must go up must also come down and the descent was just as steep as the ascent but i made it and felt good about the day despite the start, If i can keep the leg iced, take the ibuprofen and wear the sock i should have no problems in getting to Santiago, The weather has changed and there was some rain soon after i had finished and settled in to an aubergue, The weather is set to be changeable for the next few days, Fingers crossed that i get up and down o'cebreiro in the dry, Its a big climb and will be tiring but i have plenty of time and will enjoy the last of the Spanish mountains,

Last image from Ponferrada, It did make me laugh, I saw these elderly people on both nights there, They sat in the sun with their home made cardboard sun visors, There were seats opposite in the shade
 Buy a beer or a wine and get free pinxos/tapas
 Unfinished artwork on my walk today
 Back in wine country
 A huge aloe Vera plant on Villafranca
This little sculptures as attached to the back of
 This guy
 Villafranca, I had lunch in the building on the left
 Starting the climb up
Half way up
 The weather was great for the climb up
 Taking a break and checking the swollen left leg
 Different graves for the norm


Dave

1 comment:

  1. A few comments:
    1. Take it easy 'ol man!
    2. Wine country=better wine?
    3. I've heard of two LEFT feet but...
    4. Love the unfinished artwork!
    Carry on.

    ReplyDelete