Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 26th, Over the Pyrennes

I am so glad that i stopped over at Orisson, Firstly its a steep trek there and still about 5hrs to Roncelvalles, It is one hell of a walk even for fit people, We set off from Orisson around 7.45 and crossed some of the most beautiful countryside i have ever seen, I teamed up with Francis the Canadian as we have a similar speed and was in Roncevalles in Spain around 1pm, It was another steep walk and coming down the last 3 miles was dicey to say the least, A few people fell!! and i was not surprised, I felt good and my confidence was high and even higher after a couple of Spanish beers, I managed to stop and get plenty of photos and reminded myself that i was walking in the footsteps of Napoleon and Roland, The scenery kept changing from open hill tops to deep Beech forests, I have read that this is the nicest part of the Journey and i can why, No blisters and just a small back ache, You cannot over train for this if you live like me in flat ground, We topped at over 1400m,
Griffin Vultures zoom overhead
The long and winding road
 Gorse covers a lot of the hills adding some colour
 These feet were made for walking
 When nobody else is around you get a sefie
Auberge Orisson, A sight for sore eyes after the climb
 The place to be to rest and replenish
 Basque Beer-Delish
Enjoying the views
 Early Pilgrim
View from my bed
 5 images stitched into a panorama over the Pyrennes
 Can you think of a better place to relax
 Francis with the Yuma Duo
Wild Orchids
 A nice place to stop
 Some wild horses, The trail goes up behind if you look in the distance on the left
 Steep going
 Near the summit
 Still away to go
 Rolands Fountain
 Now in Spain
 Enchanted Forest
 The long steep descent down to Roncevalles


I hope the pictures tell the story

Dave

2 comments: