Tuesday, April 15, 2014

2 steps foward 1 step back

Its getting very close, Just a few days before i fly, I have just about crossed every t and dotted every i, Today i had confirmation that i have a place in a taxi to be collected from Biarritz airport and taken to St Jean Pied De Port, Luckily there are a few people and the cost came down from 72 Euros if i was alone to just 16 Euros,
Last week i collected my new custom made orthotics, At first they felt strange as i could feel it under my arch, As is said before i have extremely high arches and have never had anything that came close to filling them, My feet are now 100% supported and they feel great when walking, You have to break them in and only do 1 hour the first day, 2 the second etc, Yesterday i walked over 12 miles on the Mountains to Sea trail that is near to my home, The trail i chose is quite hilly, Lots of short steep hills and a good smattering of longer less steep hills, It certainly works the butt cheeks and last night i could really feel the burn there, My feet felt fine until i took off my left boot and noticed that a small blister had formed under the hard skin on the side of my big toe, I have never ever had a blister there and was surprised that i had not felt it form, Today i did a 10+ mile walk on the roads around my home, Again my feet were fine but the blister now needs to be drained and cleaned, There is no soreness or pain which is a bit bizarre, I will pop back to H and H where the inserts were made and see if there is some adjustment that can stop the blister reforming, In the past when walking over 10 miles on tarmac i have to start walking on the grassy verge after 7 or 8 miles as the pads of my feet feel the pounding, Today that did not happen thanks to the inserts with a thicker padding, By having the insert made to the exact shape of your foot you foot does not have the opportunity to flex and hence there is less friction and less or no blisters.
Last October i started using an app called Runkeeper on my smartphone to let me log how far i have walked and what pace etc, Yesterday i logged over 500 miles since i first started using it,
Just about everything is booked, The only thing still unfinished is getting my wife from Santiago airport to Sarria where i will be 70 miles from the finish line,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment