Monday, February 3, 2014

Sore feet and unsung Heroes

Last week i set myself a target to walk 60 miles, The furthest i had walked before was 40 miles in a week, I prefer to give myself a target and 60 miles seemed to be realistic, What i was not prepared for was the weather, We had a good amount of snow and with the freezing temperatures the snow stayed around for a few days, This meant that if i wanted to walk it would have to be on roads, I know the Camino De Santiago route has some road sections so i thought that i may as well spend the week walking different routes around my neighborhood, Time is limited so if i wanted to do any distance i would have to walk fast and stops would be kept to a minimum, This is how my week went:

Monday 10.27 miles
Tuesday 10.35 miles
Wednesday Did not walk due to weather
Thursday 16.50 miles
Friday Did not walk due to lack of time
Saturday 10.17 miles
Sunday 13.12 miles
Total 60.41 miles

I felt quite good about the week and it showed that my stamina has increased with the 10 milers being done at a good pace and without breaks, I also dropped a couple of pounds as a bonus, Now i have to say that my feet took quite a pounding on the roads and feel a little 'bruised' but are fine to look at and have zero blisters, the walks ranged from freezing conditions to tee shirts, A good test of my clothing that i ill take on the walk,
Walking on roads for long periods of time can be quite boring, especially if you do the same routes, Last week i used my iphone to supply some music and it really helped ease the time away,

The fundraising is going OK and so far we have around $3300, We had a $300 donation from Beth Ann Chiles who has a blog, Every month she selects a cause and donates money for every comment that she receives, For January so chose to raise funds through her blog for my cause i.e Cancer Research, Beth Ann is a real unsung hero and i would urge you to visit her blog and leave a nice comment to help her cause of the month

Last week my eldest brother Michael was taken into hospital to have a brain tumor removed, That now makes 4 out of 4 brothers who have or are suffering from Cancer, At this time i have been told that the operation was successful but they are keeping him in an induced coma to let the body heal, At the same time my good friend Faye has a daughter going through a similar thing where she has been diagnosed with a tumor to the brain and is awaiting surgery, This alone makes the walk all the more important for me and any funds raised will help people and families going through the hell that we are currently going through, Please keep the donations coming here

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!!! The weather certainly did not help make your training easy, did it? Prayers continue for your brother and for your friend Faye's daughter. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete